During the Ministry of Rev. John Craig 1902-1905
April 6, 1904
In June, 1903, the Methodist congregation of Lunenburg placed a contract with Messrs Casavant Bros. of St. Hyacinthe, Quebec, for a new pipe organ to replace the one originally purchased from the Brunswick St. Church, Halifax. The instrument recently came to hand and was used for the first time on Sunday, March 27th.
The occasion was signalized by a visit from Rev. W. H. Langille, President of N. S. Conference, a former and much beloved pastor, who preached in the morning. In the afternoon a platform meeting, to be addressed by several speakers, had been arranged for, but owing to the death of Mr. John Morash, an old and much respected member of the Church, this arrangement was set aside and a memorial service held instead. At seven o’clock the large edifice was filled in every part, when the president again spoke, followed by Rev. Dr. Morton, of Bridgewater, and Rev. J. Appelby, of Ritcey’s Cove, who each gave an address suited to the occasion.
The organ is a very fine two-manual instrument, very similar to that recently installed in the church at Truro, and will sustain the enviable reputation for church organs, won by the firm of Messrs Casavant Bros.
It is singularly pure in tone and possessed of all those combinations which enable it to rival the human voice in compass and flexibility.
The Trustees were very fortunate in securing the services of Prof. E. R. Stuart, of Truro, for the opening day. In many parts of the province this gentleman is well known and though he came as a stranger to Lunenburg, he has already made a distinct reputation for himself as organist in this music loving, and keenly critical musical town, as well as won many personal friends by his genial disposition and obliging manner.
Mr. Stuart is a pupil of Hermann Kotchzmar and seems to have acquired from him his recognized skill in “tone colouring,” and registration and legato-pedalling.
Of course the musical features of the day were of special interest, and afforded untold delight to the immense crowds filling the sacred building. All the selections, both instrumental and vocal, were made tributary to the idea of worship, and it was simply grand to listen to the volume of song by the great congregation, led by the superb organ and the effective choir of the Lunenburg church. The organ itself is beautiful to look at, “handsomely cased in oak, well proportioned, and harmonizing well with the proportions of the chancel in which it is placed.” With motor attachment it will cost $2,700. The offerings of the day amounted, we believe, to $600.
The Methodist people of Lunenburg are greatly pleased with this latest acquisition to their church property and are certainly to be both commended and congratulated. The pastor, Rev. John Craig, is in labours more abundant and lives in the affections of the multitudes who wait upon his ministrations.
Researched by Dr. Murray Beck at the Nova Scotia Archives, Halifax - 2003