Position Available: MINISTER OF MUSIC
Posted June 30, 2017
Application to be received by November 15, 2017
In the beautiful UNESCO world heritage town of Lunenburg, Nova Scotia,
Central United Church is seeking a Minister of Music.
The successful candidate will work in a collaborative environment with the Minister,
musicians within the church, members of the congregation, and
visiting musicians to lead all musical aspects of worship.
We have an enthusiastic, gifted choir and musical community.
Music is highly regarded within Central United Church, and the
Minister of Music has a key role to promote and enhance this part of our spiritual journey.
RCCO standard salary.
What we have to offer:
- A traditional wood frame sanctuary with excellent acoustics
- A gifted and enthusiastic choir that can sing four-part harmony
- Many talented musicians and soloists in the congregation and community
- A Heintzman 6' grand piano, a 1904 Cassavant pipe organ, a Yamaha upright grand piano for rehearsals
- A vibrant and musical community, LAMP, Boxwood, Maritime Concert Opera, Folk Harbour Festival.
What you have to offer us:
- Positive, collaborative spirit
- Competent on piano and/or organ, with accompanyist skills
- Can work collaboratively with individuals and groups
- Able to enhance the music program of the church
- Open to all types of music.
- Work with the Minister to plan music appropriate for the liturgical calendar, including selection of hymns and other music incorporated into the worship service
- Select and prepare the choral music and play hymns for each Sunday service [excluding the month of August], plus special services
- Available, when possible, for funerals and weddings held in the church
- Participate in meetings of the Music and Worship Committee
- Organize and lead weekly choir practices
- Responsible to the Ministry and Personnel Committee and the Church Board
Salary, Vacation and Continuing Education
- Salary - as per RCCO standards appropriate for experience and education levels with time commitment of 12 hours per week
- Vacation - Central United Church is closed the month of August. Any other time off, including for Continuing Education, would be by approval of the Ministry and Personnel Committee.